Wildlife ACT runs critical endangered and priority conservation work in Africa. I will be joining a team of professionals (who are supported by the WWF) and contribute to our conservation work, while simultaneously having the African wildlife experience of a lifetime, as we monitor animals like Cheetah, African Wild Dog, Rhino, Lion, Elephant and Leopard (Africa’s Big 5!). The work done by Wildlife ACT is conducted on game reserves in Zululand, South Africa – an area which resounds with the heartbeat of Africa, and which is one of the most diverse and productive wild lands on the planet.
Wildlife ACT support responsibilities:
Volunteer duties at the Orphanage include some of the following:
- Rising with the sun and heading to the outback to locate animals
- Monitor animals that have been earmarked using radio telemetry equipment
- Take down behavioral notes on the animals
- Track down nocturnal animals like Hyaena
- Help with the darting, trapping and radio collaring of various animal species
- Help with the reintroduction of game, identity tagging and setting/checking camera traps
- Help with bird ringing and alien plant control
Why I Chose This Opportunity
World-wide Recognized Program
This is the only conservation volunteer program in Africa supported by, and that work with high profile conservation organizations including WWF, Endangered Wildlife Trust and Wildlands Conservation Trust. They work across four different Game Reserves; Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, Mkhuze Game Reserve, Thanda Private Game Reserve and Tembe Elephant Park. As a conservation volunteer, I will get the chance to experience varied natural environments across multiple reserves.
The Wildlife ACT experience is unmatched in terms of the type of work we done and diversity of species including the “BIG 5”. No more than five conservation volunteers are allowed per reserve at any given time. Unlike other volunteer projects, they are not a safari where up to 10 people get on one vehicle and as many as 30 volunteers on one private reserve. The focus of this program is for true conservation.